A periodic dentist appointment, commonly referred to as a dental exam, is crucial to maintaining excellent oral health. Your teeth, gums, and mouth will be carefully examined by a qualified dental professional, such as a dentist or dental hygienist. A comprehensive cleaning, an assessment of your oral hygiene practices, and a review of your general dental health are all commonly included in a dental checkup.
Your dentist will normally begin a dental examination by looking at your mouth and teeth to look for any indications of decay, gum disease, or other oral health concerns. To gain a better understanding of the state of your teeth and bones, they could also do x-rays.
Next, your dentist in Willowbrook will then clean your teeth by eliminating any plaque or tartar accumulation. If left untreated, plaque, a sticky film of bacteria that builds on your teeth, can lead to gum disease and tooth damage. Plaque that has hardened into tartar can only be removed with specialized dental equipment.
After brushing and flossing your teeth, the dental expert will assess your oral hygiene practices and give recommendations on how to improve them. Also, they might address any worries you have about your oral health and suggest additional procedures, such as filling cavities or managing gum disease.
Benefits of Regular Dental Check-Ups
Routine dental examinations are essential to maintaining good oral health. A few benefits of routine dental examinations are as follows:
Prevent tooth decay and gum disease: Scheduling routine dental visits can help detect early signs of both diseases. This may assist in preventing the worsening and development of certain illnesses into more serious problems.
- Early oral cancer detection: During a routine dental examination, your dentist will look for early indications of oral cancer in your mouth. The likelihood of a favourable outcome from therapy can be considerably increased by early oral cancer identification.
- Clean teeth and fresh breath: A dental checkup involves a professional cleaning that rids your teeth of plaque, tartar, and discolouration. This leaves you with clean teeth and fresh breath. This can support maintaining healthy teeth, gums, and breath.
- Diagnose harmful behaviors: Dentists may assist you in identifying bad habits that could impair your oral health, such as grinding your teeth or biting your fingernails, and they can offer suggestions on how to stop or minimize them.
- Learn how to take care of your teeth and gums: Dentists may give guidance on proper brushing and flossing techniques as well as how to take care of your teeth and gums. Also, they could recommend dental products that are most suited to your needs.
- Save money: Regular dental exams can help identify
How Often Should You Get a Dental Check-up?
You should visit the dentist for a checkup no less than every six months or as often as your dentist suggests. Yet, the frequency of dental exams may vary depending on your needs in terms of oral health. While some people might require more regular checks, others might only require occasional checks.
Your dentist will decide how frequently you should have dental checks based on your age, overall oral health, likelihood that you may develop dental problems in the future, and any existing dental conditions. For instance, those with a history of gum disease, cavities, or other oral health issues may need more frequent dental exams to monitor their condition and stop further difficulties.
Routine dental examinations are crucial for preserving excellent oral health. Our dentist in Langley can spot any current dental problems and offer guidance on how to take care of your teeth and gums during a dental examination.
Get in touch with Cornerstone Dental if you’re thinking about visiting a highly recommended and efficient