What is Sedation Dentistry?
A technique known as sedation dentistry uses drugs to soothe and relax patients during dental treatments. It is often referred to as “twilight dentistry” or “sleep dentistry.” Inhalation, oral medicine, and intravenous (IV) distribution are some of the several ways the sedative drug may be given.
There are many reason why patients may wish to receive this treatment, including but not limited to the following:
- Suffer dental anxiety, fear, or even dread
- Have trouble sitting still in the chair while the dentist works
- Have an overactive gag reflex
- The patient has special needs
- A complex treatment
- A lengthy treatment
However, before you commit to anything, always speak with an oral health professional. They will help you determine whether you are a good candidate for this type of care.
Sedation dentistry can employ a variety of degrees of sedation, including:
- Minimal sedation: The patient is calm yet alert and conscious of their surroundings when under little sedation.
- Moderate sedation: With moderate sedation, the patient is more profoundly relaxed and may not recall much of the operation.
- Heavy sedation: The patient may need help breathing and is on the verge of awareness.
- General anesthesia: General anesthesia renders the patient unconscious. In most cases, a qualified anesthesiologist is brought in to administer this type of sedation.
Based on the patient’s individual requirements and the particular surgery being carried out, the amount of sedation utilized might vary. To protect the patient’s safety, the dentist will continuously check their vital signs.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry, a branch of dentistry that uses medicine to calm and relax patients during dental treatments, has a number of advantages. Among the advantages are:
- Decreased fear and anxiety
- Better comfort
- More efficient treatments
- Increased safety
- Better oral health
Preparing for your Dental Appointment
- Confirm the appointment: To prevent any confusion or misunderstandings, be sure to confirm your appointment with a dentist near you a few days before your scheduled visit.
- Tell the dentist about your dental history: If you’re a new patient, be sure to tell the dentist about any medical problems or prescription drugs that could have an impact on your dental treatment.
- Come on time: To prevent hurrying and to give yourself enough time to complete any required documentation, be sure to arrive at your appointment on time.
- Bring the essential data: Bring a list of all the drugs you are presently taking as well as any insurance information or other documents the dental practice may need.
- Share your concerns: Be sure to let your dentist or the dental staff know if you have any worries or anxieties about getting dental work done. To make you feel more comfortable, they might be able to provide extra assistance or modifications.
- Follow any pre-appointment recommendations that were provided to you: If you were given any pre-appointment instructions, such as fasting or avoiding any medications, be sure you carefully follow them.
Sedation Dentistry in Langley
At Cornerstone Dental, we offer sedation dentistry to help our patients feel more comfortable and relaxed during their dental procedures. We want to ensure that everyone receives the dental care they need in a safe and comfortable environment. Our skilled and compassionate dentist in Willowbrook will consult with you to choose the finest sedation dentistry solution for your requirements.
Get in touch with us today to arrange a consultation if you’re interested in learning more! You can reach us via phone call, by filling out the appointment request form on our website, or you can stop by our physical office if you’re wanting to speak to a member of our staff in person.
We look forward to working with you very soon!