Most people recognize dental amalgams as silver fillings. Dental amalgam is a mixture of mercury, silver, tin and copper. Mercury, which makes up about 50 percent of the compound, is used to bind the metals together and to provide a strong, hard, durable filling. After years of research, mercury has been found to be the only element that will bind these metals together in such a way that can be easily manipulated into a tooth cavity.
Despite public concern in recent years, ongoing scientific studies conducted over the past 100 years continue to prove that amalgam is not harmful. As such, we continue to offer this type of filling to our patients without worry.