Dental Care – From Toddlers to Teens
Showing your toddler how to care for their teeth comes from action first, and instruction second. As toddlers grow into energized children, and children turn into teenagers, ideally the your shared oral care review will be complete.
Tweaks along the way might be necessary, especially if your teen is one of many who undergo orthodontic treatment. But the overall basics will likely be in place.
Oral hygiene practices have pretty much always been about the following…
- Brush 2x daily
- Floss 1x daily
- Using fluoride based dental products to fight plaque
- Avoiding too many servings of sugary or acidic food and/or drinks
- Maintaining regular checkups and cleanings
Teens have enough body image concerns without the added stress of dental problems, so help them promote a healthy smile and further prevent decay from occurring with the above information.
Although the aforementioned “basics” applies to a child at any age, there are a few other concerns you might want to address with your teen.
- Oral Piercings – oral piercings have become increasingly popular over the years, and is a serious concern to oral health overall. Chipped teeth are the results of oral piercings we see most often, in addition to lost fillings and broken braces. Not to mention infection and nerve damage. So take these concerns into consideration when helping your teen make positive choices.
- Mouth Guards – mouth guards come into play once your teen goes out to play. Most sports will provide your teen with a mouth guard, and ensure they wear them to protect their teeth.
- Nutrition – no matter if it’s your teen’s teeth, or the overall health for your family in general …good nutrition is a vital part of a healthy body. And it makes no exception for your oral health.
These basic approaches may seem like common sense, but sometimes it’s the simple things in life that make the biggest, most long-lasting difference. No matter if that’s a simple reminder, or a simple dental routine that you carryout though childhood all the way into adulthood.
At Cornerstone Dental, we always look forward to helping you with your dental concerns, and ensuring you have a healthy and happy smile!